CPS PSO Participants – use your password to obtain information about CPS PSO activities, newsletters, education and training and other information specifically for CPS PSO participants: Enter password protected area
Misplaced your password? Click here to request the password to the protected area. Enter “PSO Password” in the Subject line. It will be emailed to you.
General CPS PSO Information
The Center for Patient Safety (CPS) is certified as a federally-designated Patient Safety Organization (PSO) in compliance with provisions of the federal Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act of 2005 (PSQIA). PSOs support the collection, analysis, sharing and learning about what medical errors occur, why and how to prevent them. By reinforcing a safety culture that allows healthcare providers to safely report and share information about vulnerabilities within the healthcare system, PSOs are pivotal in the crusade to prevent medical errors and patient harm.
The Center is positioned to assist new and current participants in gaining this invaluable learning, and obtaining the federal protections that are available within the PSQIA – but, mostly importantly, to prevent patient harm.
Please refer to the information below for additional resources, or contact anyone on our PSO Team.
- Download Center PSONews (or view on Issuu) – a quarterly newsletter
- Find the right PSO for YOU!
- Federal Law and Regulation
- Overview of the Patient Safety and Quality Improvement Act of 2005
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality PSO Website
- Choosing a Patient Safety Organization: Tips for Hospitals and Health Care Providers from AHRQ
- CPS Listed as a PSO – Press Release
- Patient Safety Organization Terminology and Acronyms
- National Health Reform Provisions and PSOs
- A CPS and VergeSolutions webinar series: PSO?PSES? PSWP? You have questions, we have answers!
- A CPS hosted webinar, “PSOs: A National Perspective, Past, Present and Future” with AHRQ Staff – July 26, 2012. Access the audio and PowerPoint of the session.
- CPS White Paper – Patient Safety Organizations and Transparency
Center for Patient Safety PSO Services and Benefits
- Access to the CPS customized online data platform, ShareSuite
- A secure, confidential data platform to enter data (and optional electronic upload of data from internal event reporting systems), analyze and report adverse events, near misses and unsafe conditions
- Secure collaboration and communication between the CPS and PSO participants
- Access to CPS exclusive PSO resources (education and training, password-protected web site with PSO resources, a ShareSuite User Guide, PSO Toolkit containing templates and PowerPoint templates to assist in PSO implementation at your organization and more)
- An Annual PSO Participant Day for networking, sharing and learning among PSO participants
- One-on-one consultation from experts in patient safety for PSO reporting and other patient safety topics
- Access to national patient safety sharing and networking opportunities, including regional and statewide data collection and learning
- Integration of PSO and patient safety activities with a network of providers across the continuum of care, including ambulatory surgery centers, ambulance services and nursing homes
- Discount on automated, enhanced Survey on Patient Safety services and reports to meet your annual safety culture requirements and improvement needs
- Gaining federal legal and confidentiality protections for designated quality and safety improvement work not otherwise protected by attorney-client privilege or peer review protections
- Option to submit de-identified data to a national patient safety database for utilization in national quality and safety reports
Summary of Court Cases Addressing PSO Protections
PSO Case Law (Illinois): Illinois Department of Financial and Professional Regulation (IDFPR) v. Walgreen, Company – May 29, 2012
PSO Case Law (Ohio): Gooden v. CVS Caremark Corp – November 20, 2012
PSO Case Law (Kentucky): Kentucky courts are at the forefront of PSQIA interpretation – August 16, 2012; August 16, 2012, July 11, 2013
PSO Case Law (Pennsylvania): Morgan v. Community Medical Center Healthcare System – June 14, 2011
Looking for More Information about PSO Services?
The Center for Patient Safety offers full PSO services for Hospitals, Long-term Care, and EMS – request more information.
The CPS PSO Team
Becky Miller, MHA, CPHQ, FACHE, CPPS, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Carol Hafley, MHA, BSN, RN, FACHE, Assistant Director, email@example.com
Eunice Halverson, MA, Patient Safety Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kathy Wire, JD, MBA, CPHRM, Project Manager, email@example.com
Alex Christgen, Project Manager/Analyst, firstname.lastname@example.org
Michael Handler, MD, MMM, FACPE, Medical Director
Amy Vogelsmeier, PhD, RN, GCNS-BC, Contractor
Center for Patient Safety
2410A Hyde Park; Jefferson City, MO 65109