EMS Patient Safety Organization
FOR EMS SERVICES
Protecting, Learning & Preventing
Many states around the nation do not provide adequate confidentiality, or peer review protections for EMS agencies and providers. A solution to overcome this barrier comes to you from a Patient Safety Organization (PSO) – the Center for Patient Safety. We offer federal-based confidentiality protection for your safety and quality improvement work.
What is a PSO?
Patient Safety Organization’s (PSOs) support the collection, analysis, sharing and learning about what medical errors occur, why and how to prevent them. By reinforcing a safety culture that allows healthcare providers to safely report and share information about vulnerabilities within the healthcare system, PSOs are pivotal in the crusade to prevent medical errors and patient harm.
About the Center for Patient Safety
The Center for Patient Safety, is a private, not-for-profit corporation dedicated to fostering change throughout the nation’s health care delivery systems and across the continuum of care. We provide services that contribute to safe care and we are a federally-designated Patient Safety Organization (PSO).
Visit our calendar for upcoming events
Court Cases Addressing PSO Protections
Listen to CPS attorney, Kathy Wire, as she explains the multiple court cases upholding PSO protections for you. Listen now: Ask the Lawyer: EMS PSO and the Law
Read more about court cases upholding PSO protections and find out what is necessary to ensure your protections are maintained.
The Center’s EMS PSO service pricing is available for both ground and air services and is structured to accommodate both small and larger services.
Our reasonable fees include a nominal participation fee, sliding scale pricing based on size and number of reporting locations for ground and a standard per base fee for air services. Reduced fees are also available for volunteer and minimal call volume services.
EMS PSO services provided by the Center include:
- Access to a federally-designated PSO data platform specific for EMS error, near miss and unsafe condition confidential reporting.
- Ability to network with other PSO participants from hospitals, ambulatory settings and long term care.
- Technical assistance and access to the Center’s exclusive PSO Implementation Toolkit to help you establish policies and processes to gain the most advantage from PSO participation.
- Training and orientation for staff.
- Customizable set up for corporate and multiple reporting locations.
- Access to Center Safety Alerts, Safety Watches and quarterly Newsletters.
- Customizable and aggregate reports from the PSO platform.
- Federal-based legal and confidentiality protection for your quality and safety work designated as Patient Safety Work Product, and more.
To learn more, please contact us for a proposal of services.
What Can Your Agency/Organization Protect?
- Call review documentation (for example: communication/feedback to your staff about their performance; focused reviews of high risk or other specific concerns)
- Documentation and conversations related to investigations of incident reports
- Internal studies on medication and other types of errors
- Case reviews by your agency’s Medical Director
- Regional quality committee meetings (certain conditions must be present)
- Most any electronic or paper documentation, notes, and data related to your agency’s safety and quality improvement processes
“EMS agencies can become members of PSOs and not only achieve protection of their own processes but also benefit from the collective knowledge and understanding provided by the PSO and its members.” – The National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT)
Center PSO resources:
PSO?PSES? PSWP? You have questions, we have answers! (A CPS and VergeSolutions webinar series)
PSOs: A National Perspective, Past, Present and Future (A CPS event with AHRQ Staff) (07.26.12)
Patient Safety Organizations and Transparency A Center for Patient Safety White Paper
Benefits of Working with the Center for Patient Safety (CPS) PSO
The Center for Patient Safety is positioned to assist new and current EMS participants in gaining the invaluable learning PSOs provide, and obtaining the federal protections that are available within the PSQIA – but, mostly importantly, to prevent patient harm.
CPS is a leader in PSO services for healthcare providers nationwide and the first to deliver EMS PSO services in 2009. CPS staff have the knowledge and experience to appreciate the unique qualities of your organization.
Where do I begin?
Participation with the CPS PSO begins with a contract. The contract establishes your relationship with the PSO, expectations, and your agency’s intent to report medical error data to the PSO. Our staff will assist you with understanding the contract and begin your initial education on PSOs and what you need to know to work with us.
Looking for More Information about the Center for Patient Safety’s PSO Services?
The Center for Patient Safety offers PSO services for ambulance services, medical offices, hospitals and nursing homes – request more information.
The Center for Patient Safety offers full PSO assistance, which can facilitate implementation or complement your current PSO’s services, including consultative services and a toolkit:
Want more information?
Contact any member of our PSO Team:
Becky Miller, MHA, CPHQ, FACHE, CPPS, Executive Director, email@example.com
Lee Varner, BS EMS, EMT-P, Project Manager, EMS Services, firstname.lastname@example.org
Eunice Halverson, MA, Patient Safety Specialist, email@example.com
Kathy Wire, JD, MBA, CPHRM, Project Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org
Alex Christgen, BSBA, Project/Operations Manager and Analyst, email@example.com
Michael Handler, MD, MMM, FACPE, Medical Director
Amy Vogelsmeier, PhD, RN, GCNS-BC, Contractor