EMS Patient Safety Organization
The Center for Patient Safety, is a private, not-for-profit corporation dedicated to fostering change throughout the nation’s health care delivery systems and across the continuum of care. We provide services that contribute to safe care and we are a federally-designated Patient Safety Organization (PSO).
The Center’s vision is “a health care environment safe for all patients and healthcare providers, in all processes, all the time”.
The Center’s mission is “to be a leader in providing solutions and resources to improve patient safety and the quality of health care delivery by conducting activities in collaboration with healthcare providers, physicians, purchasers, consumers and government”.
Did You Know?
Many states around the nation do not provide adequate confidentiality, or peer review protections for EMS agencies and providers. A solution to overcome this barrier comes to you from a Patient Safety Organization (PSO) – the Center for Patient Safety. We offer federal-based confidentiality protection for your safety and quality improvement work.
Ask the Lawyer: EMS PSO and the Law
Date: October 1, 2014
Time: 11:30-12:30 Central
Suggested Attendees: EMS Leadership including Board Members and legal representatives
Registration: AVAILABLE AUGUST 2014
EMS Patient Safety Conference
Date: November 12, 2014
Time: 8:30-4:30 Central
Suggested Attendees: EMS personnel interested in patient safety
Registration: AVAILABLE SEPTEMBER 2014
What Can Your Agency/Organization Protect?
- Call review documentation (for example: communication/feedback to your staff about their performance; focused reviews of high risk or other specific concerns)
- Documentation and conversations related to investigations of incident reports
- Internal studies on medication and other types of errors
- Case reviews by your agency’s Medical Director
- Regional quality committee meetings (certain conditions must be present)
- Most any electronic or paper documentation, notes, and data related to your agency’s safety and quality improvement processes
“EMS agencies can become members of PSOs and not only achieve protection of their own processes but also benefit from the collective knowledge and understanding provided by the PSO and its members.” – The National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT)
Benefits of Working with the Center for Patient Safety (CPS)
The CPS is a leader in PSO services for EMS providers, delivering protection solutions since 2009. We are currently working with air and ground services throughout the U.S., giving CPS the knowledge and experience to appreciate the unique qualities of your EMS agency. We offer a data system customized for EMS medical error data collection needs, capturing the challenges of pre-hospital patient care.
In addition to having access to our EMS data system, as a participant with CPS, you will receive:
- Guidance on developing your service’s policies for working with the PSO and assistance with setting up your Patient Safety Evaluation System
- Educational webinars to increase your knowledge and understanding of working with the PSO
- Ability to access service-specific reports for analysis and comparisons
- Resources to help you assess your agency’s culture of safety and learn what actions can improve the safety culture
Court Cases Addressing PSO Protections
Read about the multiple court cases upholding PSO protections and find out what is necessary to ensure your protections are maintained.
Where do I begin?
Participation with the CPS PSO begins with a contract. The contract establishes your relationship with the PSO, expectations, and your agency’s intent to report medical error data to the PSO. Our staff will assist you with understanding the contract and begin your initial education on PSOs and what you need to know to work with us.
Want more information?
Contact any member of our PSO Team:
Becky Miller, MHA, CPHQ, FACHE, CPPS, Executive Director, firstname.lastname@example.org
Lee Varner, BS EMS, EMT-P, Project Manager, EMS Services, email@example.com
Eunice Halverson, MA, Patient Safety Specialist, firstname.lastname@example.org
Kathy Wire, JD, MBA, CPHRM, Project Manager, email@example.com
Alex Christgen, BSBA, Project/Operations Manager and Analyst, firstname.lastname@example.org
Michael Handler, MD, MMM, FACPE, Medical Director
Amy Vogelsmeier, PhD, RN, GCNS-BC, Contractor