The Center for Patient Safety has released a PSO alert regarding the potential for confusion when administering Midazolam or Morphine.
As a Patient Safety Organization (PSO), the Center for Patient Safety collects incident, near miss, and unsafe condition information on multiple types of healthcare related cases, including EMS medication events.
Recently, there has been a trend of medication errors pertaining to the administration of the incorrect medication involving Morphine and Midazolam. Specifically, confusing the two medications and administering the wrong medication.
Possible reasons for the error:
- Similar names of medication
- Similar packaging or container
- Similar route of delivery
- Medications were locked together
- No cross check process in place or time out taken before administration
Read the full alert and view recommendations and helpful resources.